Saturday, February 18, 2012

Christmas in Germany for 2013

Welcome to the inaugural post for my semi-annual Christmas in Germany for 2013.  I began what I hoped would be a new tradition in 2009 and it proved to be a wonderful, relaxing Christmas.  In 2009 Sydney and I visited the Christmas markets and other sights in Munich, Nurnberg, and Innsbruck, Austria.  We spent Christmas surrounded by the beautiful, snow covered Bavarian Alps and enjoyed a traditional midnight service on Christmas Eve. Additionally, we toured Linderhof palace, Ettal Abbey, conducted a torch light tour of Partnach Gorge, and managed to squeeze in a day of skiing.  As always we enjoyed the wonderful food of Germany.  The tradition continued for Christmas in 2011 when we again visited Christmas markets in Munich, Regensburg, and Salzburg, Austria.  We spent a day on the slopes again in Garmisch and also tried cross-country skiing for the first time.   We visited Neuschwanstein castle and spent an evening at the famous Hofbrauhaus in Munich.  Our gastronomic excursions began to take on the atmosphere of gluttony as I attempted to make up for lost time - I enjoyed the fresh bakery goods and meats, while Syd focused on the soups and sweets.  Sydney and I have centered our trip around the beautiful Bavarian town of Garmisch-Partenkirchen where we found a quaint little gastehaus from which to branch out on daily excursions.  I plan to continue my new tradition for Christmas in 2013.  This is such a wonderful way to spend the Christmas holiday that I would do it every year were it not for family obligations. 

As I have in the past, I welcome family and friends to join us in Germany for this new tradition.  I fully understand that not everyone is able to participate, but this blog will be an information board for those who are able to participate or those who just wish to follow the progress as I prepare for the next trip.  In future posts I will discuss past trips and my plans for the next visit.  Additionally, I will include photos of the area and from our past trips.  I welcome your participation.  Frohe Weihnachten und ein Gutes Neues Jahr!

No comments:

Post a Comment